Proteus is an application that allows the user to make schematic captures, simulate microprocessors and develop PCB (printed circuit board) designs. Most of the users download this software because its interface simplifies the different tasks. It comprises several modules that are combined to offer distinct services. This software combines ARES PCB layout and ISIS schematic capture to provide a powerful design program.
The 3D viewer gives the customer the opportunity to get a view of the circuit board as it would be in real life
ISIS (Intelligent Schematic Input System) module provides a wide number of features controlled by using a simple user interface. It allows you to design the plane of an electric circuit using many different components, such signal generators, simple resistors, power supplies, a different microcontroller or microprocessor, and many others. Proteus it makes possible to define many of the aspects of the components appearance and it incorporates a powerful design environment.
The designs can be simulated in real-time through VSM (Virtual System Modeling). It is provided with a mixed-mode SPICE simulation, microprocessor models and animated components to facilitate the simulation to the user. VSM extension is integrated in the ISIS module and allows you to simulate the tasks that you want the program to carry out, being able to handle the microcontroller and its outputs. The simulation can be done with low level and high level code.
Another remarkable module that is integrated in Proteus is ARES (Advanced Routing and Editing Software) is a tool that allows you to route, edit and locate components used to for the production of printed circuit boards. The 3D viewer gives the customer the opportunity of having a view of the board as it would be in the real life. It generally gives you the option of editing the welding and surface layers.
Compared to other similar applications, Proteus provides the user with various tools that work in a simple and intuitively way. Maybe that's why this tool is frequently used in the education field. It is very friendly for novice users who are interested on obtaining high level simulation, schematics and board designs. You can download a free version to try it out.
Another positive feature of Proteus is that the developer provides free material to manage this software. In the official website there are several video demonstrations about Proteus VDM simulation and PCB design. There is also more support information to download and discussion forums that could help the user to utilize the application and share information.
Proteus 8 Features
- Proteus incorporates a tool that automatically places a component in the netlist into the board
- Make a basic simulation
- Proteus has a Schematic capture module, PBC Layout module and a display technology that accelerates hardware.
- It is possible to execute the integrated based router loading custom scripts or using an interactive mode
- Proteus provides a 3D visualization (VSM) of the board. It includes navigation and a 3D data footprints user application
- Manage and configure dynamic teardrops
- Export layouts using ODB++ CAD/CAM format
- Proteus gives an automatic gate-swap optimization
- There are unlimited shape-based power planes per each layer
- Unlimited shape based power planes per layer
- Unlimited number of pins in a netlist
If you want more information about Proteus, you can take a look to the official website here
- Operating system: Windows XP SP3
- Processor: 233 Mhz
- HDD: 165 MB of free space